“For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.” -Psalm 84:10
Exodus 33:7-11… 7 Moses used to take a tent and set it up a long way outside the camp; he called it the “Meeting Tent.” Anyone who wanted to ask the Lord about something would go to the Meeting Tent outside the camp.8 Whenever Moses went out to the Tent, all the people would rise and stand at the entrances of their tents, watching him until he entered the Meeting Tent.9 When Moses went into the Tent, the pillar of cloud would always come down and stay at the entrance of the Tent while the Lord spoke with Moses.10 Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud at the entrance of the Tent, they stood and worshiped, each person at the entrance of his own tent.11 The Lord spoke to Moses face to face as a man speaks with his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but Moses’ young helper, Joshua son of Nun, did not leave the Tent.
- v.7: There is a place just like in the Old Testament where we all go to meet and gather. Where “anyone” who wants to ask the Lord something can come and pitch his tent. This place is known as the church (& other activities within the church). Church is a place we go to seek God and not for the purpose of others.
- Note: It is clear that this place of meeting was separate from the camp. Away from the comfort zones, usual surroundings, all the busy noise and stress. A special place where everyone seeking God came together. Where is your meeting tent?
- I have heard many say, “I don’t need to go to church to hear from God”, “I can do church from home”, “I don’t need anyone to teach me”, “I read the bible on my own”… etc.
- The bible encourages us not to forget to meet or come together. If you are able to go to church then GO!
- v.8: It is awesome that everyone who went to the meeting tent recognized Moses as chosen from God to speak to His people. They knew God was with Moses; they respected him and followed his good example. Same goes with our Pastors, church/youth leaders, bible study and Sunday school teachers. Paul in the New Testament encourages others to follow his good example, because his example was Christ.
- v.9-10: What happens when we get together? Not only can we find encouragement & love, but it is an opportunity to learn from other mature Christians, learn about false teachings and prepares us for His return. Most importantly… the presence of God is there with us!!! Where the presence of God is there is joy, peace and we are free to worship & praise Him.
- v.11: The more we seek God the more He is able to prepare us to get back to our daily routines, tasks, duties and responsibilities. He also gives us strength to share and show others with our lives the difference there is when we truly seek God.
When we give God our time and seek His presence things begin to change. Are you ready for that change?
“Stay Encouraged. Stay in the Word” -Eunice Green