“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.” -Romans 12:1 (KJV)
Read or listen to 1 Samuel 3:1-10: v1. “The boy Samuel ministered before the Lord under Eli. In those days the word of the Lord was rare; there were not many visions.” -1 Samuel 3:1-10
- Ask yourself! Am I anywhere near serving the Lord? What does that look like? Where do I begin?
- Now think about those things we have asked God to change in your life. Is that thing, emotion or habit, anywhere near being committed to the service of the Lord.
In the old testament all the sacrifices were brought to the temple and offered to God. From possessions, to animals/food and even people. In 1 Samuel 1:11 the mother of Samuel made one of the biggest sacrifices any mother could ever make. She sacrificed, offered and kept her word. What is yours? Samuel’s mother dedicated her only son to the Lord and the temple is exactly where she made Samuel’s dwelling place. She knew God would honor her sacrifice and He did. God’s desire is that we sacrifice from the heart and with a broken spirit. What are you willing to sacrifice? Are you willing to put your sacrifice up for service? You just have to be willing to surrender and God will take care of the rest. When God began to call Samuel he did not know him yet or at personal level. God want us to be ready for His service! His desire is to reveal Himself to each and every one of us. We just have to take those steps of faith so when he calls we can confidently say, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”
How does service look like?
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to
- offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, …
- 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world,
- Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought,
- 9 Love must be sincere.
- Hate what is evil; …
- cling to what is good.
- 10 Be devoted to one another in love.
- Honor one another above yourselves.
- 11 Never be lacking in zeal, …
- 12 Be joyful in hope, …
- patient in affliction, …
- faithful in prayer.
- 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need.
- Practice hospitality.
- 14 Bless those who persecute you; …
- bless and do not curse.
- 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; …
- mourn with those who mourn.
- 16 Live in harmony with one another.
- Do not be proud, …
- Do not be conceited.
- 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil.
- Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.
- … live at peace with everyone.
- 19 Do not take revenge, …
- “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; …
- if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
- 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” –Romans 12 (NIV)
Are you willing to serve and fight the good fight of faith? All He needs is YOU!
“Stay encouraged & Stay in the word!” -Eunice Green