“Therefore, since we have these promises,
dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and
spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.” -2 Corinthians 7:1
What is trash? A thing that is considered worthless, meaningless or useless.
How much trash do we have lying around in our lives? Cleaning up trash is easier said than done, but when you get rid of it, it’s gone! First we have to realize that there is trash that needs to be disposed of. Some clean as they go, others may wait till it piles up, others may not care to live with it and then there are trash diggers. Which are you?
I know that I’m getting sick and tired of trash just hanging around my life. Trash meaning sin! All things useless & meaningless things that delay me from getting closer to having a personal relationship with God. God’s word clearly says to get rid of everything that contaminates us, body & spirit. Unfortunately, we are very good at appearing like we have it all together on the outside. Nice clothes, descent car or job, many friends… but our spiritual life STINKS!! Who are we trying to fool, God?
“Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant. Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.” -Galatians 6:7,8
Something’s gotta give! We cannot hold on to those things that separate us from God and expect to have a close relationship with Him. We cannot do both. This is why every person is made aware of the trash we carry around by the Holy Spirit, but we ignore it.
The decision is yours… hold on to it or get rid of it!
- Recognize you have TRASH in your life!! Call it what it is, “worthless and meaningless”.
- Ask God to forgive you for holding on to it this long & ignoring Him. Say, “Lord I am ready to allow you to help me live a clean life free of this trash. I need you and I want to change. In Jesus name. Amen”.
- Now, just get rid of it!! This step will be a continual step from here on out as you come across more trash in your life. Your human nature might not allow you to forget about it, but LETS NOT BE TRASH DIGGERS!! God will give you the strength to stay clean if you want it!
- Build & strengthen your safety net! Read the bible daily, find a church & GO, join a bible study group & STUDY, pray every day, memorize verses, listen to Christian music, have like-minded friends, just say “NO”, speak & think positive thoughts and remember what you are now… CLEAN!! So fight hard to staying that way!!!
- DON’T GIVE UP!! “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” -Galatians 6:9
“Stay encouraged. Stay in the word.” -Eunice Green