“Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches. In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had” (John 5:2-4)
- Now it is clear that this pool in Jerusalem was well-known for mercy, deliverance and healing. But there was a problem! This miracle was limited only to the first person who stepped in after the moving of the waters.
- What am I seeking God for? What is my condition?
“Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”” (John 5:5-6)
- This man has the most amazing encounter… JESUS! Jesus has come to give us a life more abundant than the one we are living now. A life full of peace & without fear, because He overcame this world.
- What is more amazing is the Jesus already knew his condition. Just like he is aware of every situation in our lives. Nothing happens without Him knowing it.
- God wants more for our lives and it is possible to have through what Jesus has already done for us on the cross.
- Question is do we want to be made well? Not only physically, but more importantly well spiritually?
“The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”” (John 5:7)
- This is the response of most of us who have come to believe in Jesus. We tend to get stuck looking at our present situation and circumstance and go no where in our spiritual walk. Jesus came to end our pity party!
- Many of us live on the side lines, waiting for something to happen. WAITING for a sign. WAITING to feel something. WAITING for someone to say the right thing. WAITING for the right person to come along. WAITING for the right opportunity. WAITING to get rich quick. WAITING for the right circumstance. WAITING for the right environment. To many of us are waiting instead of taking action by having faith and trusting that He who has called you will bring it to pass!
- How long have I been WAITING?
- Here we see Jesus comes to this man, not the crowd. Jesus is calling you and I individually to take action.
- What are we waiting for to… love, forgive, be thankful, walk in joy, read the bible, share his life, encourage another, get organized, be responsible, quit smoking, stop fornicating, sing, teach, help, eat healthy… finally start walking in the life God has called us to live?
“Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.” (John 5:8-9)
“Stay Encouraged. Stay in the Word” -Eunice Green